Dear all,

We apologize in advance for eventual cross-posting

This is a reminder that we have "only" two more weeks for the AGU Fall Meeting abstract submission deadline, so we would like to encourage you to submit your abstract to our session

Ductile deformation in the lithosphere: fabrics, rheology and physical properties

Section: Tectonophysics

Session ID#: 3204

Session description:

Textures and microstructures in deformed rocks are fundamental to our understanding of the dynamics of the solid Earth, particularly in processes of strain localization in shear zones and estimates of the strength of the lithosphere. In recent years, there have been significant advances on the understanding of the nature of high strain zones in the crust and upper mantle, which involve grain-size reduction, phase changes, and development of crystallographic preferred orientations. All these mechanisms are likely to cause modification on the rheological, elastic, and thermal properties of these rocks, providing key information on the evolution of the lithosphere. In this session, we invite contributions from field observations, laboratory experiments, and numerical modeling that constrain deformation mechanisms, physical and mechanical properties of rocks deformed in different conditions and tectonic settings.

Sponsor: Tectonophysics (T)

Co-Sponsor: Mineral and Rock Physics (MR)

Confirmed invited speakers are:

Patrick Cordier (Université Lille 1, France)

Takehiko Hiraga (University of Tokyo, Japan)

Holger Stünitz (University of Tromsř, Norway)

Conveners:

Luiz Morales (GFZ Potsdam – Germany)

Ken-ichi Hirauchi (Shizuoka University, Japan)

Vincent Soustelle (Brown University, USA)

REMEMBER THAT:

Deadline for abstract submission: 6 August 2014, 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT

We are looking forward to seeing you all in SF!!!

Best wishes,

Luiz, Ken & Vincent