Hi Ellen,

Yes, the images need to be all in a common space, which means using the *_to_target images.

There are indeed 2 ways of doing a paired t-test: one is using subtractions, then sign-flippings in randomise as a 1-sample t-test (option -1), which is how you are doing, and the other is putting a full paired t-test in the design matrix and using exchangeability blocks (option -e). Both ways will give the same result, and regardless, both need to have the images in the standard space.

All the best,

Anderson