Hi:

1) normally different conditions would be different EVs - ie different timings files - and in such cases the 3rd column would be all "1" for each EV

2) however, if these blank periods are your "rest" condition, you would not normally explicitly model that with an EV, as everthing gets demeaned in the timeseries modelling.

Cheers.