FIX (ICA-based denoising) does not take care of truly global artifacts, but as you say removing the global mean is controversial (with some people saying it is essential to do and others saying it is essential not to do).

Peace,

Matt.

From: Jeanette Mumford <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [FSL] preprocessing for residuals

Hi Meredith,

Prewhitening isn't recommended for resting state data, since it can remove variability that is important in resting state connectivity.

Intensity normalization is up to you, this is equivalent to modeling the global mean and is somewhat controversial.  I'll let you make that decision on your own, since preferences vary.  My understanding is if you do something like ICA-based denoising the global mean is not necessary.  If you do not use ICA denoising and don't do much else in terms of modeling out nuisance variability, if you omit the global mean regressor all of your ROI's will end up highly correlated with each other.

Normalizing the residuals isn't necessary if you're correlating ROI averaged time series later.  Sounds like maybe they were running a seed based correlation analysis with the GLM and if you want the regression parameter estimates to reflect correlations normalization is necessary.

Hope that helps,
Jeanette