Dear Lee,

I very much like what you have done here, and think it offers A REAL WAY FORWARD, and indeed the possibility of A REAL REVOLUTION.

The primary inquiry into WHAT IS REAL?, provides a clear route to wise understanding of our human situation in the natural world. As you bring out, the notion that ‘what is good’ can differ from ‘what is real’ (and indeed, ‘what is beautiful’) may actually arise from false assumptions regarding our natural situation that can and do engender REAL HARM. This is why enquiring into the REALITY of how we naturally are in the world as it naturally is, has been so important to me as a truly ‘natural scientist’ (here, as an aside, I recognise that much of what is currently regarded as ‘scientific’ is actually ‘scientistic’, based on false/abstract assumptions about our natural situation that are accepted as true).

As I have often mentioned, the impartial (in the sense of ‘comprehensive’) approach/criterion I use to aid my enquiry into THE REALITY OF NATURE, is to ask, of any proposition or underlying assumption concerning this reality, whether it is consistent with actual experience/evidence and whether it makes consistent sense. On this basis, I have to accept that all scientific propositions and theories founded on abstract/definitive assumptions are at least partially inconsistent with actual experience/evidence and do not make consistent sense (i.e. they engender paradox). Hence many currently accepted theories of ‘the reality of nature’ are at least partially FALSE, and it is the embedded falsehood in these theories that render them capable of engendering REAL HARM, by leading us to think and live in ways that are inconsistent with how we actually/naturally are in the world as it actually/naturally is. They are an expression of what has been called NAIVE REALISM, based on rationalistic assumptions.

While this approach/criterion may not deliver ultimate CERTAINTY about WHAT IS REAL/REALLY TRUE, it can at least quickly reveal WHAT IS CLEARLY FALSE, and yet still widely used as a basis for ‘rational inquiry’ and value-judgement of what is or is not ‘good for humanity’, which can and does engender REAL HARM.

This is what Michael Polanyi was recognising when he said:-

“For once men have been made to realize the crippling mutilations imposed by an objectivist framework—once the veil of ambiguities covering up
these mutilations has been definitely dissolved—many fresh minds will turn to the task of reinterpreting the world as it is, and as it then once more will be seen to be.”

Vital here, is the need to move from an abstract, ‘excluded observer’ view of reality that screens self/subject off from other/object, to an ‘included observer’ view in which each is appreciated as a natural inclusion of other.

In other words, the difference I am speaking of here is that between regarding reality as ‘what includes me’ (and of which I am a dynamic expression) and as ‘what I am screening myself off from’. Or, to put it another way, it is the difference between viewing a game of football as a
player and as a spectator/commentator. It arises from the difference between ‘natural perception’ from within the thick of life and ‘abstract perception’ from outside of it. It is utterly crucial to challenging systems of belief that separate the reality of ‘self’ from the reality of ‘object of belief’, and so give rise to needless conflict and suffering.

Perhaps you could add some of what I have just said to your narrative?

Warmest

Alan