Agree Terry, 'good' guidelines (picking on the theme of good vs bad) clearly provide the sources of evidence, experts' or 'objective'. The problem is with how they are used by health care providers, forgeting that they should be used merely to 'guide' best practice and not as rules.

On 1 July 2014 17:10, Shaneyfelt, Terry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Not sure compelled is the right term….coerced is probably more accurate as guidelines get converted to performance measures.

“tacit knowledge based on private evidence not accessible to others” What a great “term”.

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeremy Howick
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 11:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: RealEBM paper

Thanks Ben. You are right of course that expert judgment needs to be considered and is explicitly part of EBM. However the term ‘EBM’ has been hijacked and pasted on guidelines even when the guidelines are not based on evidence. Yet because they are guidelines, clinicians feel compelled (sometimes under threat of legal action) to follow them!

---

Well done Neal and colleagues. Nothing to disagree with. However, I found the following sentence a key to the possibility of resolving the dilemmas identified in your paper (“Evidence based medicine: a movement in crisis?”)

“Given that real evidence based medicine is as much about when to ignore or over-ride guidelines as how to follow them, those who write guidelines should flag up the need for judgment and informed, shared decision making.”

This really bring us back to the seminal 1992 JAMA paper, which introduced EBM and highlighted the role of experts (and nature of expertise); should we trust experts with their tacit knowledge based on private evidence not accessible to others, or should we insist on explicit, public type of knowledge that can be understood by all people who share a common set of the tools (and values)? The public scrutiny and demand for accountability currently heavily favors “rules” over “judgments” …. I am skeptical that we will see fundamental changes any time soon even if successfully enact all initiatives outlined in Box 3 of the paper…

This, of course, is not to say that we should not try, but as they say “it is complicated”J

Best

ben