From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of k.hopayian
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2014 7:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Since when did case series become acceptable to prove efficacy?

Hi Ben,

Short reply: I respectfully disagree that a trial is an example of Popper's scientific method. Popper was concerned with theory. Whether drug A is better than B is not a theory (although confusingly, the negation of that statement is called the null hypothesis) in the sense that the biochemistry and pharmacology around those drugs have theories (such as drug receptors, enzyme action etc).

Slightly longer reply: Theories make predictions but not all predictions come from theories.

For example, the laws of physics are applied in engineering. Physics and engineering have theories. Engineers may design cars. Two cars may be compared for performance (acceleration, speed, efficiency etc). In comparing them, a manufacturer may start with an idea (our cars are better than yours) but that would hardly count as a theory. [By the way, have car manufacturers ever ever started with a null hypothesis?:-)] The manufacturer's prediction may be proven wrong (and no doubt get buried in company vaults, car manufacturers are so different to pharma, aren't they?) but no rejection of the theory of engineering is necessarily implied. Now if an engineer designed a car whose performance was beyond the boundaries predicted by the laws of thermodynamics, that WOULD falsify theory.

It is a lovely sunny weekend here in Suffolk, with many shades of green and auburn leaves, so out I go. I hope your weekend is a good one too.

Dr Kev (Kevork) Hopayian,

MD FRCGP
General Practitioner, Leiston, Suffolk,

General Practice Trainer, Leiston

Hon Sen Lecturer, Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia
Primary Care Tutor, East Suffolk

RCGP Clinical Skills Assessment examiner

NHS Senior Appraiser, East Anglia