From:  "Djulbegovic, Benjamin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Friday, July 4, 2014 at 7:55 AM
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Re: RealEBM paper

Very nice, Rakesh
The problem is that we still know so little about the ways physicians think.
In the recent paper on evaluation of physicians' cognitive styles
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24722474), we found that trainees showed
a tendency to engage in analytical thinking, while attendings (older, more
experienced physicians) displayed inclination toward intuitive-experiential
thinking. The trainees, however, performed worse on conditional inference
task.
The findings again raise the issue of nature of medical knowledge with a
number of implications for teaching ( of EBM).
Best
Ben

Sent from my iPad
( please excuse typos & brevity)

On Jul 3, 2014, at 11:14 PM, "Rakesh Biswas" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> c) Coming up with a contextually matched patient management plan for shared
> decision making.
>
> I guess the above is 'old hat' theoretically but implementation leaves a lot
> more to be desired (not that we aren't trying). :-)
>
> Here's some more literature :http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6947/4/19 on
> 'particular patient' based reasoning if one would have the stomach for it (one
> relatively easier way to grasp this article is to just click on the figures
> and go through them).
>
> best,
>
> rakesh
>

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Huw Llewelyn [hul2] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I agree with everyone that compassion and sensitivity to a patient¹s wishes
>> is central to medical practice and that Neal¹s account of his late mother¹s
>> illness typifies this.  However, I would like to draw attention to another
>> neglected aspect of EBM.  I think that ŒReal EBM¹ also involves:
>> 1.     listening carefully to symptoms, wishes and views, asking questions,
>> examining and doing tests guided partly by diagnostic hypotheses and partly
>> by checklists, all driven by 'intuitive' 'system 1' thought based on an
>> amalgam of personality, personal experience, didactic and problem-based
>> learning, imagination from medical theories, observational studies, RCTs,
>> meta-analyses and guidelines from diverse sources such as NICE, etc.
>>
>> 2.     suggesting diagnoses and justifying each one with the relevant
>> Œpatient¹s evidence¹ in the form of the Œrelevant¹ symptoms, physical signs
>> and test results from (1)
>>
>> 3.     suggesting treatments and further tests also with further justifying
>> Œpatient¹s evidence¹ from (1) that include the patient¹s wishes and desires
>>
>> The Œpatient¹s evidence¹ referred to above is the Œparticular¹ evidence based
>> on Œparticular propositions¹ or Œfacts¹ obtained from the Œparticular¹
>> patient in terms of symptoms, views and feelings, physical signs and test
>> results (as opposed to Œgeneral evidence¹ based on Œgeneral propositions¹
>> based on research observations on groups of patients). This Œpatient¹s
>> evidence¹ has not been part of Œtraditional¹ EBM.  If it is written alongside
>> a diagnosis or decision as taught in the Oxford Handbook of Clinical
>> Diagnosis, the Œparticular evidence¹ helps others to understand one¹s
>> reasoning. It also allows a diagnosis and decision based on this Œparticular
>> evidence¹ to be checked against published guidelines. Finding such a
>> published guideline that arrives at the same diagnosis and decision based on
>> similar findings and based (to some degree or other) on research evidence
>> that supports a diagnosis or decision might be regarded as Œvalidating¹ it
>> e.g. in accordance with the Bolam test in British Tort Law if the authors
>> (e.g. a NICE committee) can be regarded as a reasonable body of opinion! (see
>> also my post on the 19th May beginning "Dear Rakesh and everyone".)

>>> Thanks

http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2014/07/01/neal-maskrey-the-importance-of-kindness>>>>
/