** Apologies for cross-posting **

Policy Press at the SPA Conference 2014

Policy Press has changed the landscape of publishing in social policy and welfare over the last ten years and we are proud of our links to the SPA, which see us publish the annual Social Policy Review (vol 26 just out), the Understanding Welfare series and our collaboration over Discover Society.

Come and meet us at our stand at the SPA 2014 Conference from 14 - 16 July for great conference discounts on all our titles and to discuss our commissioning process or to submit a proposal.

To celebrate the conference and our links with the SPA we are offering SPA members a 30% discount on all our titles, including all newly published social policy titles.

To claim your discount simply visit our website (www.policypress.co.uk/promo.asp) and enter the discount code POSPAMEM or email [log in to unmask] quoting the discount code and your SPA membership number.

Below we showcase a recent and forthcoming selection of our social policy list. More information about our books is available on our website. Sign up to our newsletter (http://www.policypress.co.uk/subscribe.asp) to stay informed and for further offers and discounts.

Austerity bites: A journey to the sharp end of cuts in the UK
By Mary O’Hara
Conference price - £15.00 (RRP £19.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-1560-5

This timely book by award-winning journalist Mary O’Hara chronicles the true impact of austerity on people at the sharp end of the cuts, based on her 12-month journey around the country as the most radical reforms were being rolled out in 2012 and 2013.

Social Policy: Theory and practice (third edition)
By Paul Spicker
Conference price - £15.00 (RRP £23.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-1610-7

This fully revised, updated and extended edition of a bestselling social policy textbook is extensively reworked and adapted to meet the needs of its international readership. Laying out the architecture of social policy as a field of study, it provides a sense of the scope, range and purpose of the subject.

Understanding global social policy (second edition)
Edited by Nicola Yeates
Conference price - £15.00 (RRP £21.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-1024-2

Written by an international team of leading social policy analysts, Understanding Global Social Policy is the leading textbook in the field and provides a comprehensive and accessible overview of international actors and social policy formation in global context and includes new chapters on global poverty and inequality, social protection, criminal justice and education.

Global social policy in the making: The foundations of the social protection floor
By Bob Deacon
Conference price - £15.00 (RRP £24.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-1234-5

This book by the world’s leading authority on global social policy examines why and how the Social Protection Floor became ILO, UN and G20 policy and how the World Bank and IMF took steps to lay its foundation.

Disputing citizenship
By John Clarke, Kathleen Coll, Evelina Dagnino and Catherine Neveu
Conference price - £15.00 (RRP £21.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-1253-6

This unique book presents a new perspective on citizenship by treating it as a continuing focus of dispute. The authors develop a view of citizenship as always emerging from struggle through an exploration of the entanglements of politics, culture and power that are both embodied and contested in forms and practices of citizenship.

Forthcoming from Policy Press

Good times, bad times: The welfare myth of them and us
By John Hills
Pre-order conference price - £10.00 (RRP £12.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-2003-6

This ground-breaking book uses extensive research and survey evidence to challenge the myth that the population divides into those who benefit from the welfare state and those who pay into it. It shows that all of us rely on the welfare state through our lifetimes, not just a small ‘welfare-dependent’ minority.

Publishing November 2014

Why we can’t afford the rich
By Andrew Sayer
Pre-order conference price - £15.00 (RRP £19.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-2079-1

Exposes the unjust and dysfunctional mechanisms that allow the top 1% to siphon off wealth produced by others, through the control of property and money. Andrew Sayer shows how the rich worldwide have increased their ability to hide their wealth, create indebtedness and expand their political influence.

Publishing November 2014

Father and daughter: Patriarchy, gender and social science
By Ann Oakley
Pre-order conference price - £10.00 (RRP 13.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-1810-1

Father and daughter provides an unique ‘insider perspective’ on two key figures in twentieth-century British social science, combining biography of Richard Titmuss and autobiography by his daughter Ann Oakley.

Publishing October 2014

The story of Baby P: Setting the record straight
By Ray Jones
Publishes 16th July 2014
Conference price - £10.00 (RRP £12.99)
ISBN: 978-1-4473-1622-0

This book is the first to tell what happened to 'Baby P', how the story was told by the media and its considerable impact on the child protection system in England. It will make a crucial contribution to the topic.