Hello everyone

thanks to everyone for the suggestions received regarding the LIUK test.

It strikes me that there are two types of individuals taking the LIUK test

a. People who have English as a first language in their native country
and need to 'cram' for the test.

b. People who don't have English as a first language and thus have
'ESOL needs' as well as needing to learn sufficient knowledge from the
LIUK book to pass the test.

From my limited experience it seems to me that Phillipinos fit into
the first category. Also I guess that there would be a fair number
of people from the Indian sub-continent who would fit into the
first category.

At the moment I am teaching a group that includes students from
both the above categories.

I would  be interested to hear what people think about the above
categorisation, and any practical advice about teaching LIUK to
ESOL students would be welcome.

Regards

Dominic
*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]