Way back in the early days of eduroam development we did discuss whether e-mail address could be used as the standard way of logging in.

The problem we identified then was working out *which* e-mail address to tell the user to use, and coping with the support questions when they guessed the wrong one. In those days it was common for sites to issue multiple addresses, all of which landed up in the same mailbox (for example I could be mailed as [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], etc.). If you're a site that isn't so profligate, so users *know* what "your e-mail address here" means, or if your systems for issuing e-mail addresses and authenticating are sufficiently linked that it's easier to cope with all the possibilities that might turn up, then as far as I know there has never been a technical reason not to do it.

Though user education is still the only way to stop them expecting [log in to unmask] to work as an eduroam login :(

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet