Trans/ literate is a late afternoon celebration in literature, poetry and the spoken word of whatever being transgender or transsexual may mean for you. Taking place on Friday 1st August 2014 at Leeds Art Gallery from 5.30 pm (starting readings at 6pm). We see a number of intersections between trans and disability which is why we’re posting to this list. The event is part of a summer programme of events run by Leeds Art Gallery to coincide with their art exhibition featuring the work of Claud Cahun and Moss Marlow.
At Trans/ literate there will be a display of books (novels, poetry, self-help, photography, and memoir) and we invite you to bring along your favourite books to share. Leeds Library Services will bring some along too.
The event will be compèred by Cath & Ruth. Readings don’t have to be from published works – you’re very welcome to share your own writing or poetry too. To book an open floor slot of 5 minutes, or to ask any questions, please contact Ruth via email at [log in to unmask]
Leeds Art Gallery will be closed to the general public during the event. Changing facilities (two rooms) and mirrors are available from 5.30pm and are adjacent to the main room we plan to use. You may present in whatever way you feel comfortable, and there will be an interval from 6.30 – 7.00 pm for anyone to assume their alternative persona for the second-half if they feel inspired to do so. We must vacate the building by 8.00 pm, so will finish the readings at around 7.30pm.
Trans/literation is open to anyone, whether on the transgender spectrum or not. We also welcome partners, friends and supporters. The event is free of charge but donations for refreshments would be gratefully accepted! We look forward to meeting you.