From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Cunningham
Sent: 21 July 2014 14:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: DSA funding for NHS CPD Course

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this one?

At Northumbria University we run a range of Nursing courses – these have been either Advanced Diploma (now defunct) or a BSc(Hons) course.

We quite often get students returning to us, after completing their nursing degree and are working within the NHS, to do what is called a Continuing Practice Development (CPD) course. The CPD course is (as far as I am aware) optional and the students study a module at a time, normally over a 3 month period with 1 day per week/fortnight at University.  They then have the option to further develop their skills by doing another module and so on.

I am aware that the CPD course is not eligible for DSA funding as it is classed as single module based learning.

However, over the last few months we have had a few students enrol on the CPD course who have been qualified as a nurse for 20+ years but due to the new initiative to get all nurses up to degree level, they are being told to do this course.  I believe the course still runs in modules but they are expected to study on this course (part time) for 1-2 years and they will eventually get a BSc qualification.

Due to the fact that they are now studying on a course that leads to a BSc, do you think they will now be eligible for DSA finding via SFE (or equivalent)?

My colleague has spoken to SFE and they have directed her to HEFCE as “SFE no longer determine whether a course is eligible”.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

Thanks

Tim

Tim Cunningham

Disabilities Adviser,

Student Support and Wellbeing, Academic Services

T:  +44 (0)191 227 3849

F:  +44 (0)191 227 4553

E:  [log in to unmask]

Room 024, Student Support and Wellbeing Centre, Northumberland Building,
Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST, United Kingdom

This message is intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any use, disclosure or reproduction without the sender’s explicit consent is unauthorised and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please notify Northumbria University immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the University. The University cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and/or amended.