Just to clarify, this student doesn't have a motability car. Her parents
were in the process of trying to work out how they can enable her to
attend uni by travelling with her on public transport (she needs to live
at home to receive practical daily living support) until I (apparently
foolishly) suggested the travel allowance shouldn't require such drastic
adjustments to their work / life commitments and might also enable some
independence on the part of the student.

Ian