Greetings friends!

I’ve come into possession of a big batch of PDF files containing non-Unicode Greek texts that I’d like to salvage programmatically. I suspect we’ll end up using Hugh Cayless’ Transcoder software to convert to Unicode, but that presupposes we understand the encoding of the original. Before launching into figuring that out by hand, I thought I’d ask here if anyone has ever dealt with Unicode conversion of the “Canopus” Greek font (specifically, the CanHeavy family)? Anything that could potentially shorten the depth of my dive would be appreciated. Googling gives me nothing that I can see as relevant; there are Unicode fonts available from a URL with “canopus” in it, but they do not seem to be the same. I do have copies of the fonts (but no documentation) used to create the original Pagemaker files whence these PDFs; the Pagemaker files themselves are gone.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Elliott, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Digital Programs and Senior Research Scholar
Institute for the Study of the Ancient World (NYU)
http://isaw.nyu.edu/people/staff/tom-elliott