In the UK cycle sales have been stable for many years….but use is increasing….it’s just the poor monitoring in the UK.

The peak year for cycle sales, in the UK, at 3.75m, was 2004 (Source: NatStats PRODCOM) since when sales have been pretty much stable at around 3.4m, plus or minus 3m.  The Sky sponsored LSE study only looked at (if I recall) sales in the year 2007 (one of the plus years).  In fact cycle sales climbed steadily from the mid-90’s to 2004, with a blip in 2001.  That growth was reflected in DfT statistics until, somewhat ironically, 2004 (the year of peak sales) when usage fell by 6%, they claim.  Never really got to the bottom of that one….though looks like it was a an unrecognised methodology change.

Multiple ownership isn’t really a problem if surveys of cyclists aske the right questions:  a survey of local cycle commuters in my area revealed an average ownership of two bikes per cyclist, with a maximum of six (notably one of these was female).  Interesting to note that, if the cyclist owned a folder, the average was three bicycles.  I would suggest this isn’t untypical of this area (Surrey).  That suggests cyclists are becoming more sophisticated and functionally aware.

I note also that, whilst “cycle to the station” plateaued here in 2008, the three years prior to that growth averaged around 15% per annum.  I’m told, and I’ve seen, that isn’t untypical for this cycle use “market segment”.  Bear in mind that, aside from demolishing an oversubscribed (by 100%) tin bike shelter, and replacement with a huge number of covered and CCTV secured cycle shelters, no improvements have ever been made to station access for cyclists (no cycle lanes, paths or signed routes (we spent years trying to persuade both the rail company and local authorities to put up signs to the cycle parking!) that growth rate represents the local “unconstrained” growth rate for the area.  Growth plateaued simply because there was no longer any more cycle owner/rail commuters who wanted or could cycle to the station (pull out an marketing text book….it’s a basic market characteristic).

I’d argue that the 15% growth rate is not untypical for the SE of England.  As I mentioned above, I’d suggest the change in cycle owners buying habits is significant; cycle owners are becoming more sophisticated in the way they use a bicycle and what they use it for (in part driven by changes in the types of bicycles available from cycle retailers).  Talking to the local bike shop owners, its cycle owners that have driven this, not the retailers themselves.  Even our die hard high end mountain bike retailer now stocks (pretty expensive French) hot commuter bikes.

In my study of cycle ownership I adopted a number of different estimation techniques to identify the scale of the UK’s cycle fleet.  Based on these I’d suggest a figure of between 40 and 50 million bikes exist in the UK.  The number of cycle owners is around 23.5m (based on data from the National Travel Survey).  Again, local survey’s in Surrey confirm the regional picture, so at national and regional level these figures are probably within +/- 5%.

To me the thing that undermines UK cycle use statistics is seen in the average distances cycled which, up to the time I last looked (2007) had continued to decline to less than 60km per year.  For a number of previous years cycle use to the station had increased significantly.  Assuming a 2,5km each way trip to the station, say 200 days of the year, then, for every additional person who cycled to the station 16 would have to stop cycling completely to “maintain the average”.  That’s patently not the case, so how is it the average distance continued to decline (don’t forget this is following more than three years of very high cycle sales)?  That inconsistency, for me, is a measure of the unreliability of many of the cycling statistics generated in the UK.

That said I have noticed some big changes in cycles in use.  When I first moved, as an avid mountain biker, to this area (in 1990) mountain bikes were very popular and there were many bike shops, selling mostly mountain bikes.  But I noted a wide variety of people out on these, of all ages, including some for whom a mountain bike was completely the wrong bike.  Whilst I suspect many ended up decorating garden sheds, quite a lot got converted into the (unsuitable) commuter bike.

It looks like this ”asset overhang” has, in recent years, gone and some years ago there was a big increase in the “hot commuter” style of bike i.e., road frame and (700c) wheels, straight bars, mountain block and chain rings (albeit two chain rings rather than three).  I see very few mountain bikes and hybrids in use or parked up as commuter bikes, either here in Surrey of in London.

The last (post-Olympics) change has seen almost exponential growth of drop handlebar bikes…..the area is inundated, and not just on the weekend.  This one I’m kinda sure is not typical of the UK market but, given the huge crowds out for the Tour de France, I’m wondering if there’s an ongoing shift to road sport cycling.  Again, it would be interesting to survey cyclist (my survey was in 2010) to see whether there’s been a change in the number and types of cycle owned.

Finally, and given the above, and knowing how the UK’s National Travel Survey work, I wouldn’t attach much credibility to the absolute data you see, even that quoted by the UK’s cycling organizations.   That’s not to say it’s impossible to get something sensible out of the data; for instance, relative data may be in identifying trends (as long as the methodologies and sampling haven’t changed (see earlier comments).

Far to much of the cycle counts done as part of local or national traffic census is inconsistently and discontinuously collected as part of poorly structured (often manual) surveys.

Personally I feel the PRODCOM data, and changes in sales, may well be the most reliable indicator of the interest in, and  use of, bicycles in the UK (particularly if certain companies would release the accompanying cycle segment data).

Cheers

John Meudell

C.Eng, MIMechE