Hi,

Last year we held the 'Text Access’ Conference here at the University of Leeds looking at the range from manual note-taking, electronic, palantypists, respeaking, on-site and remote services for supporting deaf/hard of hearing students access to the spoken environment. I think many of you were there, and some of you gave us enlightening presentations (thanks!)

Denise Bob-Jones of Ai Media (previously Bee Communications in the UK) did a presentation for us (and a few visitors) last week.

I'm interested in talking to more university staff where these remote live transcription services have been used and the technical or other issues for the host university. (Rather than a review of Ai Media/Bee Communications or any other provider). Ai Media says students in some of your universities have been and/or are currently using them, that is:

"The universities with students that we have provided remote captioning for are:

·         Institute of Education

·         University of Wolverhampton

·         Aston University

·         University of Strathclyde

·         University of Manchester

·         University of Northampton (Moulton College)

·         University of Southampton

·         University of Oxford

·         Leeds Metropolitan University

·         University of Edinburgh

·         Manchester Metropolitan University"

(and Birmingham was on a PowerPoint slide too, but she seems to have left you off this list!)

So – a request for those of you in these institutions, or others using other providers of sppeech to text services - please let me know the challenges.

Wifi strength/reliability an issue in your teaching venues? Or poor mobile recepton if using a mobile phone? Lecturer wearing too many mics? Lecturers concerned about intellectual property/security? DSA only covering part of the costs?

I don’t thnk we have represention of all these HE providers in CHESSForum – if any of you can let me know contacts for these - great.  I think this is an interesting discussion for CHESSForum, but also feel free to contact me off list if you prefer. ([log in to unmask])

Best wishes,

Sheenagh

Sheenagh Hull

Disability Co-ordinator (Deaf & Hard of Hearing Students)

Disability Team

Disabled Students' Assessment and Support

University of Leeds

Leeds

LS2 9JT

0113 343 7367 (direct line)

0113 343 2616 (minicom textphone calls only)

07781472713 (SMS mobile text messages only - include full name)

0113 343 3927 (reception)

Follow us on Twitter:      http://twitter.com/UoLDisability

Facebook:                                           http://www.facebook.com/UoLDisabilityTeam

Find us on the web:        http://www.equality.leeds.ac.uk/