Hi Dominic,
You cannot use the data.star as input STAR file for the references!
Select a few nice class averages (by displaying the model.star from the
last iteration of the initial 2D class averaging run; selecting the good
classes by clicking (they get a red box) and save a new STAR file with
the selected classes using the right-mouse popup menu) and use this STAR
file for the references.
Soon I hope to finish the 1.3 tutorial. This will describe the process
in much detail. Until then I hope this will get you going.
HTH,

--
Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology