According to the Online Etymology dictionary (
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=reflection):
reflection (n.)
<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=reflection&allowed_in_frame=0>
[image:
Look up reflection at Dictionary.com]
<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=reflection>late 14c., reflexion,
in reference to surfaces throwing back light or heat, from Late Latin
reflexionem (nominative reflexio) "a reflection," literally "a bending
back," noun of action from past participle stem of Latin reflectere "to
bend back, bend backwards, turn away," from re- "back" (see re-
<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=re-&allowed_in_frame=0>) +
flectere "to bend" (see flexible
<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=flexible&allowed_in_frame=0>). Of
the mind, from 1670s. Meaning "remark made after turning back one's thought
on some subject" is from 1640s. Spelling with -ct- recorded from late 14c.,
established 18c., by influence of the verb.

So it seems not to be an American/British spelling divergence in this case
since both the original "reflexion" and the variant "reflection" have
co-existed on this side of the pond since the late 14th c. (and I don't
think there were any American English speakers around then!).  Both forms
were in use in British English well before the European colonisation of
N.America in the early 17th c. .
Also Wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reflexion) says:

reflexion (n.)
          From the Late Latin *reflexionem*, from *reflexio*; the variant
spelling *reflection* is due to influence from *correction*.

Cheers

-- Ian