Using the "master mtz file" (as you call it) is the safe thing to do.
If you use the previous refmac output file, you have to careful the right structure factor columns are selected. They should be non-modified by the previous refmac run, otherwise you are refining both the data and the model.

Mark J van Raaij
Lab 20B
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC