From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] AW: [ccp4bb] Translational NCS and molecular replacement.

Dear Sudipta,

you are correct, your original scala.mtz has the wrong space group in it, resulting in very high Rfactors (and presumably bad electron density).

In these cases, I usually reprocess (remerge) the data in the correct space group to get the statistics right (and gain probably a few extra h00 reflections that got rejected in P212121). If you use the same a, b and c axes as before, you do not need to rerun Phaser, otherwise you have to.

If you have translational NCS, you have to live with it. The only way to get rid of it is to find another crystal with a different crystal packing.

Best,

Herman