Hi Tina,

I am from Edinburgh and would agree that it can be quite tricky in certain areas, however I have a friend who uses a powered wheelchair and takes part in the Fringe each year and loves it. I know she’s stayed in the Travel Lodge in The Royal Mile but I don’t think the bathroom was great. However I gather ‘Motel 1’ hotel chain have just opened on Princes St (or about to open) and I’ve seen photos of their accessible shower rooms as a company I do a bit of work for have just provided really compact folding shower screens. I gather they are not too pricey and would be very central and on various accessible bus and tram routes. I also gather some of the rooms have great views of the castle!

The new town is still hilly but wider streets with more level pavements. The old town has cobbles to cross roads so can be more tricky.

My dad worked at the Uni and was also a wheelchair user but mainly after he retired.  Sadly some of the buildings are just not accessible but I do hope you still love it! People are very friendly and helpful too which can go a long way.

Have a lovely time!

Jacquel Runnalls,

Senior Occupational Therapist in Housing,

London Borough of Waltham Forest,

Cedar Wood House, 2d Fulbourne Rd

LONDON E17 4GG

Tel: 020 8496 5544