Having retired has given me the time to look this up.

The reference in the RCPCH guidelines is given as an RCN publication

The RCN publication actually states:

Standard 3

There should be a minimum of one registered children’s nurse with trauma experience and advanced paediatric life support on duty at all times in general hospitals’ A&E departments to assist, supervise, support and chaperone children, young people and their families.

and the supporting statement/rationale is given as:

✦ The NSF hospital standard states that A&E departments, surgical recovery areas, day care facilities, and on inpatient medical and surgical wards, there should be cover by staff who can provide Advanced Paediatric Life Support (APLS) or its equivalent, this is further supported by the Healthcare Commission (HCC, 2007).

which is somewhat different to to what was published by the RCPCH……………

I wonder which nurse managed to sneak that one by?

Vic Calland