Hi Dieter,
First of all: it is now recommended to NOT use relion_preprocess from the
command line. Just use the entire preprocessing pipeline from the GUI as
explained in the tutorial: this will reduce errors. Probably some of the
particles are somewhat strange: have you looked at them? If norm
correction remains a problem after throwing away bad particles, you can
always switch it off using --dont_check_norm (you can always see the
options of a program by typing its name without options on the CL. The
program for 2D/3D classification and 3D auto-refine is called
relion_refine).
HTH, S

> Hi Sjors,
>
>      I am running 2D-classifications on a negative-stain dataset of
> mediocre quality and low resolution (some thousand particles). The first
> run is fine and stops at the default of 25 iterations. However, when I
> select the good particles and run a second time (with just some hundreds
> of particles) relion always stops at different iterations (depending on
> the chosen parameters) with messages like the one below followed by a
> segmentation fault.
>
> It *does not help* to make *even just one single group*. Does it mean
> that the data set is simply too bad or is there a way to get through?
> Should I remove the particle(s) it complains about one after the other?
> I also tried regularization parameters between 1.2 and 1.8 and various
> values for the Limit Resolution (between 8 and 30 A). Or does it simply
> need a minimum number of particles to do a meaningful norm correction?
>
> 0.17/1.65 min ......~~(,_,"> WARNING: norm_correction= 16.7549 for
> particle 384 in group 1; Are your groups large enough?
>   mymodel.current_size= 30 mymodel.ori_size= 38 part_id= 384
>   coarse_size= 30
>   DIRECT_A2D_ELEM(exp_metadata, my_image_no, METADATA_NORM)= 16.7549
>   mymodel.avg_norm_correction= 0.690068
>   exp_wsum_norm_correction[ipart]= 1.87198
>   old_norm_correction= 8.65915
>   wsum_model.avg_norm_correction= 51.5414
>   group_id= 0 mymodel.scale_correction[group_id]= 1
>   mymodel.sigma2_noise[group_id]=
>     0.11602
>    0.099363
>    0.023142
> mpirun noticed that process rank 2 with PID 11287 on node blaaslinpc
> exited on signal 11 (Segmentation fault).
>
> BTW: I noticed that the output of relion_preprocess is always
> fileX.*mrcs.mrcs* regardless of whether a file extension is given or not.
>
> Thanks, best, Dieter

> Dieter Blaas,
> Max F. Perutz Laboratories
> Medical University of Vienna,
> Inst. Med. Biochem., Vienna Biocenter (VBC),
> Dr. Bohr Gasse 9/3,
> A-1030 Vienna, Austria,
> Tel: 0043 1 4277 61630,
> Fax: 0043 1 4277 9616,
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Francis Crick Avenue, Cambridge Biomedical Campus
Cambridge CB2 0QH, U.K.
tel: +44 (0)1223 267061
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/groups/scheres