Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses to my question, “which department your Web team is based in?” and sorry for the long delay feeding back to the list. People from 47 institutions responded and according to my arbitrary grouping of departments the most common department for a UK HE web team is… (drum-roll please)… disappointingly split between the following three groups:

·         IT Services

·         Communications

·         Communications & Marketing

All of these scored 8, but if you put the two ‘Comms’ groups together they win hands-down with a resounding 16!

The attached PDF contains slightly more detailed results and a pie-chart.

Very soon after I posed my question to the list (and not by coincidence) the Web Team at Aberystwyth got caught up in the process of moving from a department called ‘Design, Web, Print & Postal Services’ back into Information Services, which we left a mere 7 years ago. We may be bucking the trend but it looks like it’ll be a fruitful move.

All the best,

Simon

PS. Thanks Paul Boag for prodding me to circulate my findings.