Dear Daniel,

following up on Helmut's comments, I think it is essential to minimize
the processing steps that introduce differences between sessions you
want to compare. I believe it therefore to be critical to use the same
spatial normalization parameters for both timepoints, and aim for
maximum overlap in native space. As Helmut laid out, this is limited by
differences in the data that you cannot account for using a rigid body
approach, but it is still better (in my subjective assessment) than
introducing definite further differences between timepoints (on top of
those you are interested in). But as Helmut said, I think that an
empirical validation is still pending :)

Cheers,
Marko