I don't have a solution for SPM8 - other than using something like MRIcron to manually edit the results.  If voxels have the same intensities as GM, and are roughly where you would expect to find GM, then they will be classified as GM.

Besides, the results from New Segment in SPM8 are not as accurate as they could be - particularly for more atrophied brains.  This aspect was fixed for SPM12.

Best regards,
-John