They indicate the number of voxels needed for a cluster to be significant
in the current map. They are determined based on the clusters you have in
the data. If you had smaller clusters, then they could also be significant,
but there is no exhaustive search to determine the exact threshold. For
example, if your smallest cluster is 500 voxels and the corrected p-value
is 0.0001. Then likely a cluster that is smaller would also be significant,
but there is no smaller cluster to be significant, so SPM reports 500 as
the cluster extent required.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School