Dear Girmay,

Specifically on the use of segment length weight:
The segmentation of axial lines produces a large quantity of very small segments. Segment length weighting is used to reduce the overall impact on the centrality results of these small segments. It is also available for axial lines although it's not so critical.
Space syntax measures are calculated from every segment to every other segment (within radius), each being an Origin and a Destination. It is less accurate to consider the importance of all O/Ds equally, because very small segments do not account for the same number of journeys as longer ones.

Depthmap offers a O/D weight to enable this differentiation.
In integration, the depth to each destination is multiplied by the specific weight value, affecting it's impact on the total depth of the origin node. Segments with a length close to 0 (zero) give effectively no contribution to the result.
In choice, the weights of the origin and destination are combined (not sure if multiplied or added, probably the former...) and this value is assigned to the segments on the shortest route. Routes between segments with length close to 0 (zero) hardly contribute to the overall choice result.
As you can see, these weights are embedded in the algorithm, and are not simple calculations applied to the end results.

Of course one could discuss if segment length is the most appropriate weight to use, but in most cases it works well and improves results. One can also use other weights related to land use, population, or anything else, if the data is available...

Hope this helps,
Jorge