Are there any documented examples where errors (e.g. bugs or misconceptions) in the simulation have led to wrong (disastrous) real world decision? I am looking for examples where a mistake in a simulation (discrete event or agent-based) has led to wrong predictions and consequently caused big trouble (e.g. problems with productivity; loss of money).

I know that people usually do not write about failures in the scientific literature. But I remember very vaguely that during my PhD studies I read about some examples. Unfortunately I cannot recall the authors/titles of these papers.