The relation of Apollonius Rhodius' Talos to Spenser's
Talus is treated, somewhat glancingly, in AFQ 413-14, re
rock-throwing (at overseas invaders in the Argonautica),
metallurgy (and terminal bleeding), and fatal Medean
charms, but "animate hardware" is probably not as
troll-like as modern-day zombies. Merely offhand, the most
troll-like character in Spenser seems to me to be the
monster of filthy Lust in FQ IV vii-viii, but, as said,
that's just an unexamined guess.

There's an interesting passage on trolls in Sir James
Frazer, Golden Bough 3rd edn. vol. 10 (Part One of Baldur
the Beautiful), pp. 172-73, where a seasonal connection
can be made between trolls, seasonal limits, and
Shakespeare's Puck (see also Milton's lubber-fiend in
L'Allegro 101-114).  (In Frazer the Scandinavian troll
called, in the latter day, Luther, is also of some
interest, though maybe not to a Protestant poet or
mythography....)

The Tick-Tock man reappears in Harlan Elison, "'Repent,
Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman" (_Transformations:
Understanding World History Through Science Fiction_, ed.
Daniel Roselle [i973], pp. 161-76; and the thematic
relation of Book V to (the potential tyranny of)
timekeeping, punctuality, synchronization, regularity,
mechanization, etc. -- "the relation of justice to time"
-- is  treated, mainly, in AFQ 402-05 and 407-09. But an
incubus (a figurative one, such as anxiety about debt or
the wages of sin) is not necessarily a troll -- Wagner's
abused and aggrieved Alberich, however, clearly is.

-- Jim N.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:43:48 +0000
  Lauren Silberman <[log in to unmask]>