This provokes the question: how much of the problem was caused by the introduction of Latin names?

From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joel Davis
Sent: 08 June 2014 01:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Usage query on possessive construction

Thanks very much to all of you.  I'm surprised that there were no other examples of constructions like Dametas-is cited.  For what it's worth, it seems definitely to be a contraction of "Dametas his," printed with no hyphen in '90.  I don't know what's in '93, because the opening f. 145v - 146r is missing from EEBO -- I'll have a look next week.  Perhaps an editor at work on '98 was actually reminding readers that the "Sejanus his" construction was only a sophistication based on a misunderstanding of the Middle English genitive ending.

Joel

Joel B Davis

Coordinator, MA Program in English

English Department

Stetson University

421 N Woodland Blvd Unit 8300

DeLand, FL 32720

386.822.7724

The Countesse of Pembrokes Arcadia and the Invention of English Literature

http://www.stetson.edu/artsci/english/davis.php