With apologies for cross-posting

Please note that the deadline for applications to the Centre for Archive and Information Studies (CAIS) at the University of Dundee to enrol on a PGDip/MLitt/MSc programme in Sept 2014 is 27 June. CAIS offers Masters degrees and single courses for continuing professional development, all by online distance learning. Please see below or look at our website for more information on our programmes and details of how to apply – http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cais

Masters in Archives and Records Management / Masters in Records Management with Digital Preservation or Information Rights by online distance learning

The need for high quality information management and recordkeeping in organisations has never been higher, nor has the need for appropriately educated information professionals. Our programmes focus on the theory and practice required for a career in archives, records management, information rights compliance or digital recordkeeping, giving you the knowledge and expertise you need to improve your organisation's management of information, records and archives and to mitigate the risks arising from their mismanagement. Each of our courses is taught by a recognised expert practitioner and educator, and our learning materials are continually refreshed to ensure that they remain current. Student support is central to our approach to online learning. You will study in a cohort each semester and be in regular contact with your tutors, other students and CAIS staff throughout.

A Masters degree comprises 180 credits and takes  2.5-5 years. The degrees consist of a series of core and optional taught courses (120 credits) and a Masters dissertation (60 credits). Semesters last for nine (10 credits) or fifteen weeks (20 credits) and there are three semesters each session (September, January and May). Early exit points are available.

Postgraduate certificates and short courses for continuing professional development

CAIS offers a number of postgraduate certificates and all CAIS courses are available individually as short courses for continuing professional development. A postgraduate certificate or short course is a popular option for existing professionals seeking to acquire new skills or update their knowledge of particular aspects of the profession. They can also be used as evidence in professional accreditation or registration schemes.

Postgraduate certificates include:

- Digital Recordkeeping
- Records Management and Information Rights
- Archival Studies

CAIS short courses include:

- Archive Services, Access and Preservation (20 credits)
- Basic Latin for Archivists and Researchers (10 credits) (Can be taken as a stand-alone 10 credit module or as part of the 20 credit module Understanding and Reading Latin)
- Complying with Information Legislation: Principles and Practice (20 credits)
- Educational Archives (10 credits)

- Electronic Records Management (20 credits)
- English Palaeography and Diplomatic (20 credits)
- Ethical Approaches to Recordkeeping (10 credits)
- Management and Preservation of Digital Records (20 credits)

- Military Archives (10 credits)
- Principles and Practice of Records Management (20 credits)
- Public History (20 credits)
- Skills and Sources for Family and Local History in England (20 credits)
- Skills and Sources for Family and Local History in Scotland (20 credits)
- Strategic Management for Information Professionals (20 credits)
- The Theory and Context of Recordkeeping (20 credits)
- Understanding and Managing Rare Books (20 credits)
- Understanding Latin in Documents and Archives (10 credits) (Can be taken as a stand-alone 10 credit module or as part of the 20 credit module Understanding and Reading Latin)

Please see our website for a full list of available courses – http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cais

Why choose CAIS?

CAIS is one of the largest providers of dedicated recordkeeping degrees and courses by distance learning in the world, with an international network of tutors and students. Our proven track record in the delivery of professional education in recordkeeping by online distance learning is recognised in full professional accreditation by Archives & Records Association UK & Ireland (ARA) and Records & Information Management Professionals Australasia (RIMPA) and by a commendation from the Information and Records Management Society UK (IRMS).

Our students and graduates are our best advocates:

‘Of the Masters courses available…these are the most diverse and interesting, and the most flexible.’

‘CAIS has an excellent programme and it was a great experience.’

'From all the chats I had with other UK [Masters] students, I think you'd be pleased to hear that Dundee comes out extremely well (best in my humble opinion, but then I'm probably biased), both in terms of what's covered in the modules, but also in terms of the level of support and personal attention to students' individual needs/circumstances.'

'I always felt like everyone was really invested in helping students succeed. I would certainly come back to Dundee for further training needs and I often recommend the course to our volunteers!’

How to apply

For further information on how to apply for the Masters in Archives and Records Management please see –http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cais/arm/apply.htm
For more information on how to apply for a Masters in Records Management with Information Rights or Digital Preservation please see –http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cais/rmir/apply.htm
To take a short course for continuing professional development, please use the form at -http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cais/cpd/
For more information on a postgraduate certificate, please contact us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

For our current fees please see http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cais/arm/fees.htm

If you have any questions on any aspect of CAIS provision, please feel free to contact us.

Best wishes,

Craig Gauld