Who owns the law? Technology reignites the war over just how public documents should be

Malamud went to the SEC and was told there was no demand for it—and even if there were, it would be prohibitively expensive ($30 million). So he got a $600,000 grant from the National Science Foundation and bought filings from the SEC that he put online using a computer from his friend, future Google Chairman Eric Schmidt. Malamud estimates that nearly 50,000 people used his site every day, including investment clubs, students and reporters.

"The SEC fought us on EDGAR," Malamud says. "But two years later, they ended up taking over my system. Now it's one of the most popular sites on the Internet."

http://bit.ly/Sn8TE2

Source: http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/who_owns_the_law_technology_reignites_the_war_over_just_how_public_document
See if people are clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/Sn8TE2+
Try the bitly.com sidebar to see who is talking about a page on the web: https://bitly.com/pages/sidebar