David

Thanks for your comments and offer to supply relevant data.

The housing cost 'estimate' of around £70 a week for the pensioner couple was not mine. The figure is given in the MIS 2012 Report as £77.43 (Table 3), and I agree it seems very high.

With regard to the PSE survey question to respondents about how much a household like their own needs to spend to keep out of poverty, it seems rather pointless asking the question if it is not clear whether or not that is to include housing cost (or child care expenditure).  But, if we were to assume that the response to the question, 'How many pounds a week, after tax, do you think are necessary to keep a household such as the one you live in, out of poverty?' did include one or both then the comparison between what the MIS comes up with using their budget approach, and that given in direct answer to this question then the figures would look like those I have set out in the table below.  MISr is the Minimum Income Standard including rent/housing costs, and MIScc includes both rent and child care costs.

The answers to the PSE question gives a much lower figure than that of the MIS budget ones for all except the pensioners. The gap is widest for those with children.  Apparently, a couple with 2 children thinks that £436 a week is sufficient for at least a basic standard of living, while the MIS budget gives a figure of up to £362 a week more.

Paul