Do you have this item for some people? How many?  What is the R-squared for
this item when you regress it on all the other items for people who have
the whole questionnaire? If it's high (say, > 0.6), I'd run a single
imputation. If it's not, I'd consider running multiple imputation, but I'd
probably just do mean score of items on the same subscale.

The advantage you have is that if this item is highly correlated with the
other items, it is easy to predict what the score would be. If the item is
not highly correlated, it just adds random noise anyway, so you can use
mean substitution and it won't hurt.

Jeremy