In our experience media training is most successful when it is not about preparing for a specific interview scenario, but when it is more about getting individuals confident in their ability to articulate approved messages under a variety of circumstances. This means that whatever they learn they can apply to internal presentations and public speaking as much as they can to a live TV broadcast (which few people will actually ever do). The best media training is about teaching people to articulate a set of messages in context, not prepping for being on the Beed.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Helen Featherstone
Sent: 23 June 2014 09:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Recommended media trainings?

Hi

to echo Michael's comments: there's more to successful communication
than feeling comfortable standing in front of a TV camera. Try the UWE
Science Communication Masterclass which covers a wide range of
communication skills*.
http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/research/sciencecommunicationunit/trainingandshortcourses/masterclass.aspx

Best wishes
Helen

* disclaimer - I run a couple of the sessions on it!

Dan Richards-Doran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve found Sue Escott from Escott Hunt to be particularly good,
> especially for communicating controversial issues and preparing for
> imminent radio/tv interviews http://www.escotthunt.co.uk/
>
> Dan
>

> *Dan Richards-Doran*
>
> *Communications and Events Manager*
>
> * *
>
> Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences
>
> University of Oxford
>
> Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
>
> Woodstock Road
>
> Oxford
>
> OX2 6GG**
>
> * *
>
> T: 01865 617870
> E: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> www.phc.ox.ac.uk <http://www.phc.ox.ac.uk/> | @OxPrimaryCare
> <https://twitter.com/OxPrimaryCare>

Helen Featherstone, PhD
Acting Head of Public Engagement