Childhood development is way, way out of my areas of expertise but my impression is that childhood development and art ed people see a shift in drawing from something that is seemingly diagrammatic--a tree symbol or the image of "family"--to something more observational--an attempt to visually record particular visual attributes of a particular tree or specific persons. [We're running up against the limits of my knowledge on the subject so I'll end this comment at that.]

Fiona--Your question about which tree you should draw in order to learn about design is apt. Different sorts of drawing are useful in different ways.

You outline two benefits of observational drawing--training in observation and development of discipline. We have some excellent drawing teachers here at East Carolina University but they tend to teach observational drawing which then melds into lessons in creating "good drawings," i.e., drawings that are recognized as a skilled art product. Those of us in design are pushing for observational drawing plus communicative drawing--how to draw to record your ideas so you can understand them better, add to them, and communicate them better to others--as part of a program of teaching ideation.

There is a range of sorts of prototyping. The IDSA has a very interesting system analysis available at http://www.idsa.org/id-cards-now-available-free-pdf-download. I haven't had the time to examine it in detail but I think some of their thinking should be adapted for other design areas. There's also need for a similar look at how drawing/prototyping works in art. I think that this understanding will be very valuable in design and art education.

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program