Hey all - thanks Ken..
btw you can still download some of these as PDF at the HDL website
<http://www.helsinkidesignlab.org/pages/publications> (and printed versions
of all are available via Lulu
<http://www.lulu.com/shop/bryan-boyer-and-justin-w-cook-and-marco-steinberg/legible-practises/paperback/product-21041196.html>)..
the HDL site itself is worth a squiz too - particularly the final few posts
on the platform
<http://www.helsinkidesignlab.org/blog/backstory-of-this-website>, project
selection process
<http://www.helsinkidesignlab.org/blog/how-does-hdl-choose-projects>and
impact <http://www.helsinkidesignlab.org/blog/hdlorg-by-the-numbers> etc.
oh - and their Ethnography Field Guide
<http://www.helsinkidesignlab.org/pages/ethnography-fieldguide> is pretty
cool too - particularly if you're working with students or participant
observers

cheers
jy

On 24 June 2014 07:16, Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Today, I received a query asking where to find copies of the Helsinki
> Design Lab books on strategic design and design thinking. Helsinki Design
> Lab published these pioneering books and cases under a Creative Commons
> license. If you are teaching design thinking and strategic design, you are
> free to use these books and case studies. You may reprint them, circulate
> them as PDF documents, share them with your students, and host them in your
> digital resource collection.
>
> Copies are available in the “teaching documents” section of my Academia
> page:
>
> https://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman
>
> Each of the five items carries the prefix HDL.
>
> The books (Boyer, Cook, and Steinberg 2011 and Boyer, Cook, and Steinberg
> 2013) and exemplify the concept that the HDL people call “legible
> practice.” The book are rich with how-to-make-it-work details and recipes
> for the HDL “in studio” approach. The case studies (Boyer and Cook, 2012a,
> 2012b, 2012c) give full details with comprehensive information that enables
> you to understand what happened in each case, why, what the participants
> learned, and how they thought things through.
>
> HDL Strategic Design was a public service design thinking consultancy
> within SITRA, the Finnish Innovation Fund. As a public service
> organization, they functioned in a completely open environment. They had no
> need for confidentiality, and they were completely free with the skills and
> knowledge they developed. If you want to learn how to work with design
> thinking in how-to-do-it detail while developing a robust theoretical
> framework, this is the place to begin.
>
> https://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman
>
> Yours,
>
> Ken
>
> p.s. Please use this email for me in the future. After June 26, it is the
> only email I will use or check on a daily basis.
>
> Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The
> Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Elsevier in
> Cooperation with Tongji University | Launching in 2015
>
> Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and
> Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University
> Distinguished Professor | Swinburne University of Technology ||| Adjunct
> Professor | School of Creative Arts | James Cook University | Townsville,
> Australia
>
> Email [log in to unmask] | Academia
> http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn
>
> --
>
> References
>
> Boyer, Bryan, and Justin W. Cook. 2012a. Case Study: Instrumental Design.
> Creating New Opportunities and Exposing Hidden Risks in the Healthcare
> Ecosystem. Helsinki: Sitra, the Finnish Innovation Fund. URL:
> https://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman
>
> Boyer, Bryan, and Justin W. Cook. 2012b. Case Study: Thinking Big by
> [...]

Dr Jeremy Yuille

Senior Lecturer, Communication Design
School of Media and Communication
<http://www.rmit.edu.au/mediacommunication>