Last week I spent in UmeƄ, Sweden (my old home town) not only to meet
family and friends or to work at the Institute of Design, but also to
participate in the DRS 2014 Conference <http://www.drs2014.org/en/>. I have
been involved in the planning of the conference but from a distance. I have
been to a number of these conferences over the years. I am happy to say
that this years conference was by far the best one yet (and it is not only
because I was involved :-)

The conference had somewhere around 370 participants! The introduction of
"Debates" and "Conversations" (organized by Jamer Hunt and Carl DiSalvo)
was a great success of bring new formats into the conference. The quality
of the papers were also, in my view, better than before, which was a
consequence of an improved review process (handled by Youn Lim and Kristina
Niederer). Overall, the conference was a success. I only heard good things
from happy participants.

The idea we had in the planning was to keep developing the DRS conference
into the design conference that is not about a particular field of design
or a particular aspect of design, instead it is the conference for the "big
debates", the issues, questions, and challenges that all design areas are
facing.

I hope that the next conference in 2016 will continue to develop this
conference in this way, then the DRS conference will become the most
important design research conference.

Best
Erik