From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pedro Oliveira
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: User Experience Research and Democracy

Dear List Members,
Is anyone on this list working on the relation between user experience research and democracy? Alternatively, can anyone please point me to resources in this area?
To provide some quick context: I’m a corporate ethnographer working in Portugal. Portugal is many things, amongst them, a country with only forty years of democracy and some of the highest levels of corruptions in Europe, both corporate and political (as per Transparency International 2013 annual report). In fieldwork assignments around retail and work software I have been noticing people finding incredibly deep, time-consuming, complex and detailed strategies of human cooperation across individuals and across groups, in order to cope with the many difficulties posed by the software; this often comes with a sense of helplessness and hopelessness around feeling that their voice on this software, whatever that voice is, will be able to produce any kind of change. Overall there is the feeling that it is people that must adapt to the difficulties posed by software or technology in general, rather than the other way round.
This is no different from the way people seem to talk about government and political representation, as expressed by a nearly seventy per cent abstention in the recent European elections. Towards government, or even towards the idea of political representation in general, there is an overall feeling that critical participation and/or voicing of one's views on the matter, can hardly lead to any form of significant change. It has recently dawn on me that the similarities between the discourse towards technology and the discourse towards political representation found in this country (passive acceptance of the “authority” contained in the technology or in the government) are traits of a country with a very short history of democracy. I wonder if other people here also see a relation between historical duration of democracy and a concern with the end user. In other
words: is the concern with the end user a characteristic of countries/cultures with a longer history of democracy? The fact that plenty of work on user experience research and human centered design has originated in the American context, and the fact that fields such as participatory design have really gained a significant expression in Scandinavia (with its well-built historical tradition of social democracy) may  help to consubstantiate this point of view. I would really love to hear about this by people in the list. Thanking you in advance. Yours, Pedro

PhD Anthropologist/Independent Ethnographic Consultant/Global Partner at Practica LLC