I think for us t here in Singapore is that we have a very large Muslim population and a 1/3 of the staff that work at NUH are Muslim themselves.  Just how many will attend Haji is not known.   With SARS we had 238 diagnosed cases with 33 deaths (11%) and so the potential here for infection is increased,

While there will be screening at Changi Airport for returning pilgrims, a number may slip through the net and present symptoms at a later time and may fall sick during the course their work.  I will be setting up an isolation facility in the department for those staff members who present with symptoms.

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sharon Naylor
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 2:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] MERS-CoV

I am adopting a common sense approach very similar to the process used when SARS, swine flu was top of everyone's agenda. Not actually written it down yet as the potential isn't huge for us, but it will contain all the usual stuff re hand hygiene, what to do if you start yo get symptoms etc

Ciccone GRANT <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

With Ramadan and Haji coming up shortly I was wondering what policies/procedures you have in place for those employees who will travelling to the Middle East and Saudi Arabia and have been in contact with MERS-CoV.

Best regards

Grant Ciccone RN GradCert (OH) FRSPH FRSM LCGI

Occupational Health Nurse Manager

National University Hospital

Occupational Health Department

Level 13, F15, 13b Medicine Clinic NUH Medical Centre, , Singapore 119074
T:+65 9785 6297

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.