From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ciccone GRANT
Sent: 05 June 2014 01:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MAYBE SPAM] [OCC-HEALTH] Needlestick Injuries & PEP

Good morning all from Singapore,

I would just like to get some opinions from you all.

Is it usual practice for a staff member who has sustained a needlestick injury from an unknown source (eg: hospital rubbish bag) to be started on PEP for 28 days even though the level of transmittable risk is minimal.

Here in Singapore - we do not have a universal healthcare system similar to the NHS back home and the cost of a course of PEP is in the region of S$1,300 (£700) which is met out of my budget.

Is there any evidence to suggest that PEP is not required? If so,  could you please share it with me.

Many thanks and best regards

Grant Ciccone RN GradCert (OH) FRSPH FRSM LCGI
Occupational Health Nurse Manager

National University Hospital
13b Medicine Clinic NUH Medical Centre, Level 13, F15, Singapore 119074
T: +65 6772 2779 (Ward 54) +65 9785 6297 (Occupational Health)
E: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  www.nuh.com.sg<http://www.nuh.com.sg/>

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust notice: The contents of
this
e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user of the e-mail address
which it is addressed and may also be privileged. If you are not
the
addressee of this e-mail you may not copy, forward, disclose or
otherwise use it in any form whatsoever. If you have received this
e-mail in error please telephone the Imperial College Healthcare
NHS
Trust on +44 (0)20 3311 3311 and ask for the person who sent
you the
email. Please also delete the message from your computer. [end]

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: