Hi Tracy,

The only extra bit I can add is that if the person has any children at home or caring responsibilities, there could be additional support from the local safeguarding team and the contact should be via social services.  We do have a duty to act if we believe vulnerable others may be at risk from a situation away from work.  Saying this, the external agencies you mentioned already – police etc  would have started these processes if there was a risk to others from this dreadful situation.

In the past for a similar situation I have written a “to Whom it May Concern” letter for an employee to give to whoever they wish where the effect of a social situation on security of employment was  a grave concern but otherwise it isn’t something I’d get involved with.

There may be other sources of support at work from HR such as from a welfare fund or through other workplace policies.  For example it may be that the employee can’t afford to move to alternative accommodation so a salary advance for a deposit or for temporary accommodation could help?

It sounds as though this chap has had excellent care but is still in a vulnerable position that is outside your control or influence.

Paul

Imperial Health at Work has been accredited as a Safe, Effective, Quality Occupational Health Service www.seqohs.org