From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Cate Gunn [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Lay / popular piety/spirituality (12-13c)

This is a fascinating question, and makes me realise how much we (well, I) rely on our own disciplines in approaching broad questions about medieval religion and spirituality.  In the case of lay piety and spirituality I would look at texts - translations, vernacularisation, manuscript transmission etc.  My interest, though, is more from the beginning of the 13th century onwards - when we do see more English language texts (I am, I'm afraid, talking only of Britain - and mostly England - here).  So, Edmund of Abingdon wrote his Speculum religiosorum, probably 1212/13, in Latin for, we presume, a religious readership (maybe Augustinian canons), but it was translated into Anglo-Norman (read by nuns but also found in manuscripts owned by lay gentry), back into a 'vulgate' Latin version and finally, at the end of the fourteenth century, into English.  It is found in famous manuscripts like the Vernon, but also in a manuscript belonging to John Pery of the Augustinian priory at Aldgate in London where it refers to the vocation, or calling, of 'men & wymen of christis Relygyon'.  So was it intended for lay readership?  To aid an Augustinian canon in the execution of pastoral duties?  Either way, has it now become an example of lay piety since it includes passages on the life and passion of Christ to aid meditation at the Hours of the day? - the observation of the hours was becoming a  popular practice among lay people, if we look at the increasing production of Books of Hours.
Looking at the history of Books of Hours, which have their origins in the 12th century, (Duffy's book Marking the Hours would be a useful starting point) may be another way of answering your question.
From someone smart enough to know she's not that smart
Cate