-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham Jones
Sent: 07 June 2014 13:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] St Nicholas

Dear Anne

You might also like to take a look at the references to Nicholas in my book
on dedications, Saints in the Landscape (Tempus, 2007), and my article 'St
Nicholas, icon of mercantile virtues: transition and continuity of a
European myth’, in Richard Littlejohns and Sara Soncini (eds), Myths of
Europe in Transition (Amsterdam, Rodope, 2006), pp. 73-88.

St Nicholas is absolutely appropriate for a bridge chapel, especially where
it leads directly, as at Bradford on Avon, on to the (infilled) market place
and shambles.

I suspect the gudgeon has some local significance.

Best wishes

Graham Jones