Every year ALISS (The Social Science Librarians Group) nominates two best articles from our journal Aliss Quarterly.
http://alissnet.wordpress.com/aliss-quarterly/aliss-quarterly-past-issues/
They are nominated on the basis of being the most informative, entertaining and inspiring.

This year we have nominated

First prize
Plagiarism avoidance for new students' Anne Costigan and Sarah George, October 2012 vol. 8 no.1-6.
http://issuu.com/alissinfo/docs/alissoctober2012  free open access
Describes development of the plagiarism avoidance for new student's course at the University of Bradford. It aimed to smooth the transition into higher education by introducing students to ideas of citing and referencing in a non-threatening way.

Second Prize to 'Using social media to promote archive use - Laura Cowdrey, National Archives July 2013.
http://issuu.com/alissinfo/docs/july2013
Describes range of methods used by the National Archives to attract users. Based on a presentation given at an earlier ALISS AGM.

For information on aliss activities, free access to conference papers and more look at our website
http://www.alissnet.org.uk

Heather Dawson
ALISS secretary