From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MacLean, Sarah
Sent: 09 June 2014 09:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Happy Birthday HER Forum e-mail list!

Dear all,

This week marks the 15th birthday of the HER Forum e-mail list.

The list was originally hosted by Mailbase and called SMR Forum. The first e-mail to the list was on the 11th June and detailed a memorandum of understanding between ADS and ALGAO. The welcome to the list wasn't posted until 14th June! Have a delve through the archives at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=herforum to find out more.

The original purpose of the list was to work towards creating an SMR Manual. This of course eventually became Informing the Future of the Past. The list grew over time to encompass all HER related discussions.

In November 2000 the e-mail list transferred over to Jiscmail where it has been hosted ever since. All the archives from the period when Mailbase hosted the list did transfer over so you are able to browse through e-mails from the very start of the list onwards. All those who were subscribers to the list by November 2000 had their sign up date reset so we can't tell which of you were the very first members back in June 1999! Of those that were transferred in November 2000, 43 are still on the HER Forum e-mail list.

The list has steadily grown since 1999. We now have 391 subscribers (we hope to break the 400 barrier this year) and have hundreds of posts each year. Last year we had over 900 posts altogether and this e-mail is the 555th post this year! The list is very active and last year well over 100 different people posted to the list. The range of discussions and the amount of knowledge pooled from the membership of this list is quite astounding!

Today and tomorrow I hope you will join in with reminiscing about the last 15 years of the list. When did you join? What have you enjoyed? Can you work out who has been on the list the longest?

I hope many of you will post over the next week and join in in saying 'happy birthday HER Forum'

all the best

Sarah

Sarah MacLean MA MIfA
Heritage Information Partnerships Supervisor
English Heritage
Designations Department
Engine House
Firefly Avenue
Swindon
SN2 2EH
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Telephone: 01793 414880

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available.

Portico: your gateway to information on sites in the National Heritage Collection; have a look and tell us what you think.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/portico/