Dear All,

Apologies if you have seen this before; I send a reminder about the below call for lightning-talk abstracts:

Engaging Students in Co-Creating Curricula that Embed Equality and Diversity

[22 October 2014, Perth, The New County Hotel]

A key aspect of embedding equality and diversity in the curriculum is the engagement of students in their own curriculum creation. How though, can we do this in practice? What are the barriers to/benefits of doing so? What are the key issues that must be faced? What are the limits/the range? How should such incorporations be managed?

With Student Participation in Quality in Scotland (sparqs), we at the Higher Education Academy in Scotland will be hosting an exploratory half-day workshop in order to initiate and develop conversation in these key areas from a practice point of view.

The workshop aims to:

·         share practical examples where practitioners have involved students in the development of equality and diversity (E&D) in the curriculum;

·         explore issues raised in the practical examples and by the discussion around them; and

·         identify solutions or further work that would minimise or remove the issues.

We invite lightning talks (max 5-minutes) from students and academics to stimulate discussion on the day. These should focus on work in which presenters have been involved that engages students in the development of E&D in the curriculum. Ideally, these would highlight key issues that they came up against/had to overcome, success measures, outcomes etc.

For information regarding lightning talks we recommend this perl.com blog.

Please email your brief proposal (max 100 words) and any enquiries to Pauline Hanesworth by 31 July 2014 by emailing her on [log in to unmask].

Many thanks and best wishes,

Pauline

Dr Pauline Hanesworth

Academic Development Officer (Equality and Diversity), Scotland

T +44 (0)131 202 3194              M +44 (0)7720968821

(My normal days of work Tuesday - Friday)

cid:image003.png@01CF0878.66C64000

The Higher Education Academy, Holyrood Park House, 106 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh, EH8 8AS

www.heacademy.ac.uk/scotland – Twitter@HEA_EDScotland

This e-mail along with any attachment(s) is strictly confidential and may contain privileged information. It is intended solely for the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please do not disclose, store, copy, take any action or omit to take any action in reliance of its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately. Views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy. Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security and take any necessary measures when e-mailing us. Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachment(s) are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure that they are actually virus free as the Higher Education Academy will not be liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on by this e-mail and/or any attachment(s). The Higher Education Academy. Company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales no. 04931031. Registered as a charity in England and Wales no. 1101607. Registered as a charity in Scotland no. SC043946.