Hi Catherine,

What kind of observational research were you planning to do?
Unless it is more sophisticated than timing and tracking (e.g. noting particular non-verbal behaviours), I would argue that there is little point in doing this kind of research manually now. I think the traditional pen and paper timing and tracking study has become obsolete in light of the technologies that are now available for visitor research, e.g.: qualia.org.uk
With an automated system, you can get more accurate visitor timing and tracking results with larger numbers (and potentially connect ted to demographic and other personal data) without any ongoing investment of time or resources.

Best,
Eric

---------------

Dr Eric Jensen, Fellow Higher Education Academy

Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer), Department of Sociology, University of Warwick

http://warwick.academia.edu/EricJensen

Recent books:

Culture & Social Change: Transforming Society through the Power of Ideas - http://www.infoagepub.com/products/Culture-and-Social-Change

Upcoming Books:

From Conservation Education to Public Engagement: Research, Principles and Practice (Cambridge University Press)

Making the Most of Public Engagement Events: Research, Principles and Practice (Cambridge University Press)

Doing Real Research (SAGE)

Sociology at the University of Warwick ranked:
The Guardian, Complete University Guide and The Times Good University Guide – 3rd
QS World University Ranking - 23rd